Tuesday, January 17, 2012

2012 The Year Ahead & Gluten-Free Lemon and Cranberry Scones

I like lists.  I have lists of books to read, movies to see, stacks and stacks of recipes to try, exercises to do in the morning, hikes to take, far off places to visit, and ....

I don't often refer back to them other than to occasionally cross off one or two that I may have finished.  However, this list is different.  This is my life list.  Or at least the many things that I want to do, accomplish, embrace and become this year.

1. Be authentic. Be me.
2. No doormats here. Practice loving assertiveness.
3. Love with all my heart and without expectations.
4. Slow down. Tell stories. Express myself.
5. Ask more why questions.
6. Be kind even in the face of unkindness.
7. Write more.
8. Dream. Set goals. Live.
9. Practice acceptance.
10. Go somewhere that inspires me for my 40th.
11. Love, honor and nurture my body.  Practice health in all the realms.
12. Let go.
13. Continue to push myself outside of my comfort zone.
14. Cook and bake more.
15. Embrace my creativeness (or serious lack thereof).
16. Learn to play guitar.
17. Go back to school with purpose and gusto.
18. In ceramics class, create more and perhaps socialize less.
19. Take more pictures.  Capture moments.
20. It is always my choice.
21. Learn to ride the waves.
22. "...be willing to let go of the life we have planned ... to have the life that is waiting for us."
23. Embrace the present.
24. Be brave.
25. Run trails. Hike more.
26. Practice yoga.
27. Meditate.
28. See Gary Allan, Eric Church and Lady A in concert.
29. See more sunrises.
30. Go camping every month.
31. Run the LJ 1/2 marathon...for the 2nd time.
32. Believe in hope.

Working on #14 first, I made scones to take to ceramic class on Saturday.  As I tasted one, I realized that I should have two different gluten-free flour mixes.  One for sweet things and another for savory things.  My current gluten-free flour mix worked well in the Black & Tan Brownies (see previous post) because of the rich, dark chocolate flavors.  However, the gluten-free flour mix did not work as well for the light, citrus notes of the scones.  So it is back to the drawing board.

Scones ready for the oven.

Lemon and Cranberry Scones
from Smitten Kitchen


1 1/2 Tablespoons lemon zest
2 1/4 cups gluten-free flour mix (see previous post for my g-f whole grain mix)
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1 1/4 cups dried cranberries
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1 cup heavy cream

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400° and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a food processor, pulse together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt, butter and zest until the mixture resembles a coarse meal, then transfer to a bowl.
3. In a small bowl, whisk egg and yolk together, then stir in cream.  Add egg mixture and dried cranberries to flour mixture and stir until just combined.
4. On a piece of floured wax paper, pat dough into 1 inch thick and 8 inch round.  Then with a small juice glass dipped in flour, cut out 2 inch rounds and place 1 inch apart on baking sheet.  Bake for 15-20 minutes until lightly golden.


No comments:

Post a Comment